Reality TV Star Jack Fowler Suffers Severe Anaphylactic Shock; All About Life-Threatening Nut Allergies

British reality television star Jack Fowler said he nearly died after being served a cashew nut curry on the flight, despite a severe allergy. Read on to know how anaphylactic shock life can be threatening.
Jack Fowler Suffers Severe Anaphylactic Shock

Upon landing, Fowler was rushed to a hospital in Dubai Airport for immediate treatment (Pic: Instagram)

Popular British reality television star Jack Fowler said he had a near-brush with death following a severe anaphylactic shock on a flight to Dubai. In an Instagram post, the Love Island star blamed the Emirates Airline, calling it their “complete negligence” that left him with the "real possibility of dying."
Fowler said he was served chicken curry that contained nuts - despite notifying his flight attendant of his allergy beforehand. “I made my flight attendant aware of my nut allergy twice before being given a chicken curry,” he posted on Instagram, along with the pictures of him hospitalized.
“When I asked for the chicken I told the air-host that I’m severely allergic to all nuts. I was then told that there were no nuts in the chicken curry. When I received the meal, I asked the same flight attendant again to make sure and again was told that it did not have nuts included. Trusting my flight attendant I began to eat the chicken curry. Immediately my throat closed up and breathing became extremely difficult,” Fowler's post added.
Jack Fowler hospitalised with food allergies
Jack Fowler hospitalised with food allergies

Rushed to the hospital

Upon landing, Folwer was then rushed to a hospital in Dubai Airport for immediate treatment, after telling the flight supervisor that he feared he would die on the plane. "I was given five tanks of oxygen, as well as administering my EpiPen. I told the flight supervisor ‘If you don't land this plane soon, I will die on this plane',” he recounted.
An adrenaline pen - often referred to by the brand name EpiPen, is an auto-injectable device that delivers epinephrine – a life-saving medication used to treat severe allergic reactions, also known as anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening reaction that impairs breathing and can send the body into shock.

What is a nut allergy?

According to experts, allergy to tree nuts is one of the most common food allergies. Along with peanuts and shellfish, it is also one of the food allergens most frequently linked to anaphylaxis. Your immune system detects and fights harmful viruses or bacteria, and when you have a peanut allergy, your immune system identifies the proteins in peanuts as harmful, triggering an allergic reaction.

Signs and symptoms of nut allergy

Doctors say those with a peanut allergy experience symptoms within two hours of eating peanuts. The symptoms can range from mild to severe and commonly include:
  • Diarrhoea
  • Breathlessness
  • Hives or skin rash
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Stomach cramps
  • Swelling - usually in the tongue or lips
Nut allergy leads to anaphylaxis – which makes it extremely hard or impossible to breathe, ultimately sending your body into shock. If you do not get timely treatment, anaphylaxis can be life-threatening.

How do you take care of yourself if you have a nut allergy?

Doctors say you need to pay close attention to what you eat. Always read food labels before opening any food packet. Prepackaged foods that do not contain peanuts can be contaminated during the manufacturing process. Watch for phrases like “may contain peanuts” and “made in a factory on machinery that also may have been used to process peanut products.”
When you go out to eat, always make sure to ask questions about ingredients. For example, peanut butter may be in certain marinades or sauces. Ice cream or yogurt shops could be places of accidental exposure because peanuts are common ice cream toppings.
End of Article
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news