Carlos Alcaraz Remains Hopeful of Competing At Madrid Open: 'Can’t Say I’ll Be 100 Percent... But That’s My Intention'

The Spaniard remains hopeful that he will be able to compete at another event that he has won the past two years, the Madrid Open, which begins on April 24.
Carlos Alcaraz

Carlos Alcaraz in action.

Photo : X
After pulling out of the Barcelona Open on Sunday due to a right forearm injury, World No. 3 Carlos Alcaraz is hopeful of competing at the Madrid Open later this month.
Alcaraz, who missed last week's Monte-Carlo Masters due to the same injury, expressed his sadness at missing the chance to compete in Barcelona, where he lifted the title in 2022 and 2023.
The Spaniard remains hopeful that he will be able to compete at another event that he has won the past two years, the Madrid Open, which begins on April 24.
“I won’t be able to play in Barcelona, but I wanted to come to the tournament.I wanted to come and explain in my own words. This is a club I’ve spent a lot of my life at, I wanted to do it in person and talk about my current situation," Alcaraz said in a press conference.
"The pain started in the first practice session in Monte-Carlo. After an hour my forearm was feeling particularly uncomfortable. At the time I didn’t think it would be anything important. My team and I treated it as well as possible, doing tests to see what the problem was. I couldn’t recover in time to play in Monte-Carlo so I returned home to see if, with recovery, days, practice, and patience, I would be able to arrive in Barcelona as fit as possible," he added.
Alcaraz wanted to give himself every chance of defending his crown at the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona, but the tournament ultimately came too soon for him to compete.
"I took a test on Saturday morning, which produced some pretty positive images. said. That gave me hope I could play in the tournament. But Sunday was the litmus test for us. It was the first day I hit forehands after the practice session in Monte-Carlo and it wasn’t as we expected. I could feel it again," he explained.
Every time I upped the intensity of the forehand, it became more uncomfortable. It was a difficult decision as it’s a very important and special tournament for me. Taking the decision not to come was difficult for me, for my family and for my team," he added.
Despite still being unsure of how long his arm needs to heal, the 20-year-old remains cautiously optimistic of taking to court at Madrid’s Caja Magica next week.
"My feeling isn’t right, but it is what it is. Now I’m fully focused on recovery, and I have a little more time. My goal is to try and go to the Mutua Madrid Open, but at the moment nothing is certain. I was given specific recovery times and I’ve respected them, but I haven’t felt good. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, " said Alcaraz.
"I can’t say I’ll be 100 percent in Madrid, but that’s my intention. We’ll train and do everything we can so that the feelings improve so I can play a tennis match. Hopefully I can enjoy the fans in Madrid and play at home. It’s also a very special tournament for me," he concluded.
End of Article
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news